We have a clear plan for a sustainable future, developed collaboratively with our employees, clients and other key stakeholders.
Together we’ve committed to four strategic pillars, targeting the key areas in which we can make a positive difference: respecting our environment, sourcing responsible products, supporting our communities, and being an employer of choice.
Discover some of the ways we're helping reduce environmental impact, promote a circular economy and support our communities.
With our scale and influence, we have the opportunity to achieve real, positive change across our industry. We’re focusing on four areas for action: respecting our environment, sourcing responsible products, supporting our communities, and being an employer of choice.
Respecting our environment
- Refurbishing our machines – of all the vending machines we installed in 2020, 47% are refurbished to the highest standards
- Reusing and recycling cups – We supply 1.1 billion cups for our consumers. All of our cups are recyclable and every paper cup is either PEFC or FSC certified.
- Making use of coffee waste – we can make good use of coffee grounds from our machines and roastery, for example as soil components or renewable energy sources.
Sourcing responsible products
- Responsible procurement and roasting – In 2020 our Pelican Rouge roastery received an EcoVadis Gold Award for CSR. We currently roast about 14,000 tonnes of coffee per year, of which 57% is certified by Fairtrade, UTZ or Rainforest Alliance.
- Ethical business practices – We have enhanced and renewed our supplier code of conduct to make sure that our suppliers commit to more responsible sourcing practices and respecting human rights.
- Innovative product offering – Our innovative MicroMarket concept Foodies offers attendant-free fresh food and beverage solutions for the workplace and beyond.
Supporting our communities
- Selecta Coffee Fund – The Selecta Coffee Fund is one of Selecta’s continuing commitments to making a difference in East Africa, the birthplace of coffee, to taking our social responsibility and to contributing to a better world. Through our Selecta Coffee Fund we invest directly to improve the livelihoods of smallholders coffee farmers in Rwanda and Burundi.
- Giving back to our local communities
Joy to go means supporting every community we serve, through projects that range from food banks to school initiatives.
Being an employer of choice
- Health and safety – The health and safety of our associates always comes first. We are committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all our associates, clients, contractors, and visitors.
- Diversity and inclusion – With more than 8,000 associates in 16 countries, our people reflect the communities and clients we serve. We hold t the highest standards of ethics and integrity and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion.
- Learning and development – Selecta is a great place to work, where everyone is valued and has the opportunity to reach their full potential. The needs of our clients are central to what we do. We wish to bring joy every day through the products and services that we offer.